Why Is Wisdom Teeth Removal Necessary?
Wisdom teeth appear in the oral cavity around the age of 17 to 21 years. Since most of the jaw space has already been occupied by other teeth, they often remain impacted or erupt at an irregular angle. This can lead to multiple painful symptoms and may also threaten the health of the surrounding teeth. Our Manteca, CA, dentists recommend wisdom teeth treatment if you are experiencing one or more of the following symptoms:
- Severe pain in the back of the mouth
- Pain radiating to the head, ears, and neck region
- Inflammation of the gums that cover wisdom teeth
- Cavities or infections in the wisdom teeth
- Difficulty in chewing food
- Difficulty in opening and closing the mouth
- Excess pressure on other teeth due to wisdom tooth eruption
- Lesions or cysts around the wisdom teeth
Keep in mind that wisdom tooth removal is not necessary in all cases. If they erupt properly and remain healthy, it is perfectly fine to keep them as long as they last. Our dentists will provide a detailed evaluation to determine if extraction is the right choice.
Process of Wisdom Teeth Treatment in Manteca, CA
In the first step, we will administer local anesthesia to numb the treatment area. Our dentist will place a small incision on the gum line to expose the bone and impacted tooth. We will remove a thin section of the jawbone to carefully extract the wisdom tooth out of its socket. After the surgery, we will close the incision site with 2 to 3 sutures.